Monday 9 May 2016

Song

Chorus
I need to see you. Yes, I'll see you again
'Cause we all bleed. We all bleed red.
I don't know what's coming but I ain't fit to be dead.
So I sit, I endure, and I'll fight.
Take a stand.
As long as I'm breathing I can see the end, and so I raise my head
Why don't you call me your friend?

1
You dont know my name, yet you feed me pain, through the rain and the sun. Doesn't matter the day.
Obey, be afraid, feel the shame, it's no game.
This is life. Its a fight, and it's not right to take, away who I am like a thief in the night.

Chorus

2
We can start to rise up and fill the streets.
But real change will happen when you see me for me, and we all agree, to look past skin and deep, to the person inside, see humanity.
Diversity is strength and it's that in the end, that will unite us together: child, woman, and man.
To save us from hatred and save us from bland.
To see others in pain and have a hand you can lend.
To see another, and call them a friend

Chorus.


I've never written a song in my life. When I spent time in Cape Town and learning about the history of south Africa I of course learned about apartheid and slavery. With those thoughts fresh in my mind I was at an art gallery and saw pieces that came out of a growing anti-apartheid movement in the late 80's and early 90's. Walking through the gallery I saw a drum and words just were coming to mind in the form of a song. I started writing some down and what results is what you can read above. There is another verse I decided not to include because i dont like it when I 're read my work. 

No comments: