Friday 8 July 2016

Vibes

Lots of people don't believe in the 'vibe's or 'energy' of a place. I for one, totally disagree. The vibe I get from a place is instrumental in how I feel about it. Every person, and place has a vibe. Businesses try to cultivate vibes with their decor and customer service. People try to give off certain vibes based on their body language and clothing choices. Societal vibes are a bit different though, they often aren't being consciously cultivated.

The day I arrived in Buenos Aries I instantly got a good vibe. Turned out to be the favourite city I visited of the entire trip. The people were laid back, there is a certain swagger in the people and the food was Delicious. Good vibes.

My first night in Greece filled me with bad vibes. Not a knock on Greece as a country but the vibe I was picking up was that of a city (Athens) of having swagger but a city that has been beaten down a bit. People just seemed to give off a 'heavier' energy as though they were/are going through something. You don't have to be a political science major to know that Greece has gone through some financially tough times. Turns out that the day I arrived there was a huge protest against further taxation by the government on the citizens of Greece. Were my vibes ever right.

I just so happen to find myself at the start of the protest. Thousands of people marched the streets together to call for the government not to impose these additional taxes. Of course, it would have a direct everyday impact on people. People were pissed off, concerned, frustrated, desperate. I didn't stick around the protest more than about 40 minutes (that eventually turned violent with police) but the energy in the air couldn't have been mistaken. This vibe carried itself over in the overall energy of the city and country as a whole.

I originally had planned to stay in Greece for about 9 days. I ended up only staying 5. Greece was nice and all, but the vibes weren't good. I can't possibly blame the country for me not having the best time of my life. The citizens have MUCH bigger fish to fry, like I don't know, their livelihoods, then worry about how tourists are finding their city.

Vibes are important. What kind of vibe do you give off? Your city? Can you be objective in answering that? Some interesting questions to ponder. 

No comments: